Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources

Coronavirus (COVID-19) frequently asked questions

If you currently have a 65-gallon recycling cart and would prefer a 95-gallon cart, please contact the Public Works Department at 919-563-3401 to request a cart change-out. Staff will submit your address to our recycling material collector, GFL Environmental, for changing out the cart. Then, simply leave your recycling cart at the street on your normal recycling collection day and GFL will change out the carts after collection occurred.

Please note that GFL will remove the 65-gallon cart in place of the 95-gallon cart.

Please allow one to two collection cycles for the cart change to occur and leave your cart at the street until at least 6:00 PM on your normal recycling collection day.

Seasonally, the City offers a loose-leaf collection program service for its citizens. The Sanitation Department collects loose leaves beginning in October and continues through early March each year. The program provides residents with the opportunity to have loose leaves collected at roadside without the need of bagging during this collection schedule.

The program operates on a city-wide routing system that is based on city staff completing one leaf collection route of the entire city. Once the city route is completed, staff then returns to the beginning of the same planned route and begins again. A typical loose leaf collection route around the entire city takes about three to four weeks depending on the amount of leaves placed out for collection. This equates to about five complete loose leaf collection routes around the city.

Yard waste will be collected on your normal garbage collection day. You do not need to call in for a special collection unless you are requesting a large quantity of yard waste to be disposed of and you want city staff to review the amount to assure city collection of material.

The City will not pick up yard debris from contracted work.

Yard waste is described as vegetative matter resulting from normal landscaping maintenance performed by the homeowner only, including but not limited to leaves, twigs, grass, limbs, shrub clippings, hay/pine straw, pine cones and small logs. City staff prefers that these items be placed in a permanent, reusable can or other receptacle to be provided by the customer. Disposable plastic bags or other disposable containers will be serviced, however, this option is not environmental friendly.

State law requires yard waste to be separated from trash and recycling.

Close window