2:00pm - 4:00pm
Free Car Seat Check from 2-4 at Station #2 located at 405 N 1st Street
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motor vehicle collisions are the leading cause of unintentional deaths in children. Is your child’s car seat installed properly? The Mebane Fire Department is a Child Safety Seat Permanent Checking Station, which educates parents and caregivers on the correct selection, installation and use of car seats. The department has 21 Nationally Certified and experienced technicians available.
What can I expect from the CPS Technician?
- The Technician will review what car seat is appropriate for your child’s age, size and other factors affecting proper use.
- The Technician will ensure that an appropriate seating position in the vehicle is being used.
- The Technician will discuss the benefits of rear facing versus forward facing for children ages 1-4.
- Seat will be checked for recalls, visible damage, expiration date and instructions to register your car seat if it is not currently.
- The Technician will go over installation using the seat belt or LATCH system.
- Proper harness placement and buckling your child will be discussed.
- The Technician will discuss the next steps for each child, such as when to move to the next car seat, booster or seat belt.
- The benefits of all occupants being restrained , including all adults will be discussed.
- The Technician will discuss the NC State Laws, best practice recommendations for occupant safety and safety in and around the vehicle.
What should I bring to my appointment?
- If your child is born, please bring them with you so we can show you the proper harness fit.
- If you cannot bring your child, know your child’s height and weight.
- Bring the car seat instructions AND vehicle owners manual.
- Come prepared to learn. CPS Technicians are trained to teach you about your seat, not just install it for you.
Questions? Contact (919) 304-9251 to speak with our Fire & Life Safety Educator