Do you know how to use a fire extinguisher?
The Mebane Fire Department offers classroom and hands-on fire extinguisher training for businesses, homeowners, organizations, and any adult interested in learning the benefits of fire extinguishers and their use. This course of instruction is not designed to turn participants into firefighters, but rather equip them with the knowledge and skills to detect and extinguish a fire only when it is safe to do so.
A portable fire extinguisher can save lives and property by putting out a small fire or containing it until the fire department arrives; but fire extinguishers have limitations. Because fire grows and spreads so rapidly, the #1 priority is for residents to get out safely.
What type of extinguisher training do you offer?
- We offer 2 types of training
- Classroom only
- Hands-on training that includes a live fire
What is included in our class?
- Discuss the 4 classes of fire
- Identifying and choosing the correct extinguisher
- Assessing a fire situation
- Fire extinguisher features
- PASS - Fire extinguisher operation
- Fire extinguisher maintenance
Where does this training take place?
- Our staff will come to your business or organization and make sure there is ample space to provide the training in a safe environment.
Who should take the class?
- This training is designed for adults. Mebane Fire Department does not believe children need to be trained to operate a fire extinguisher. Teaching children to use an extinguisher runs counter to our message that children need to get out and stay out if there is a fire. Children may not have the maturity to decide whether or not a fire is small enough to be put out by an extinguisher. Furthermore, they may not physically be able to operate the extinguisher and may not know how to respond if the fire spreads.